THERE ARE SIMPLE WAYS IN WHICH YOU CAN CREATIVELY ENGAGE YOUR DONORS:
SHOWCASE DONOR IMPACT
- Show how donation money is being spent
- Showcase the overall impact your donors had in the past year
- Share the story of a specific donor and how their donation impacted them
- Thank corporate donors and talk about their impact
- Share the results of a specific campaign
ESTABLISH A THANK YOU PROCESS
- Send thank you receipts to donors immediately
- Keep a record of all donations, big or small
- Review your records to see how donors might have donated before
- Tailor individual thank you receipts according to the donor’s giving history. Follow-up on previous thanks yous.
- Read below for more insights into a healthy thank you process
USE THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA TO HELP YOU DETERMINE HOW TO THANK A DONOR:
ARE THEY A NEW DONOR?
New donors should receive a welcome packet that includes a thank you note, a promotional piece talking about your nonprofit, and a small gift such as a photo of the people you serve.
WHERE DID THEY DESIGNATE THEIR DONATION?
Specific notes should be used depending on what the donor is giving to. For example, if they donated to a specific campaign, make sure to mention details about that campaign in your thank you.
HOW MUCH DID THEY DONATE?
Your larger donation should receive a hand-written note and, if possible, a phone call. It’s recommended that your donors receive at least one hand-written note every few months regardless of the amount they give.
WHEN WAS THEIR LAST DONATION?
If the donor hasn’t given in the last few months then you want to thank them for their recent donation in the most personal way, which would be a hand-written note or a phone call.
HOW WAS YOUR DONOR PREVIOUSLY THANKED?
Avoid repeating the same thank-you process twice in a row. Your donors want to know that they are more than a dollar sign to your nonprofit. Use wording that is different from their previous thank you.
WAYS TO THANK YOUR DONOR
- Phone call
- Hand-written note
- Phone call and hand-written note
- Add a hand-written “PS” on a printed reciept
- Printed note on a card with your signature
- Printed note on a card with a “PS” and your signature